PDA

View Full Version : Joe Cortez

maximushibee
20-04-2008, 08:35 PM
This referee is an absolute joke. Gave calzaghe nothing.. hopkins should have been warned about the amount of holding time.. and for time wasting.. also should have been deducted a point for the deliberate head clashes.. Should never be aloud to referee a boxing match again.. look what happened when he ref'd the hatton fight never allowed ricky to fight on the inside but allows bernard hopkins.. ******ing disgrace to the sport.. rant over sorry guys huge boxing fan here

Pretty Boy
21-04-2008, 11:22 AM
Joe Cortez is notorious for this, the Americans call him an 'experienced ref', anyone from any other nationality that goes to Vegas to fight will tell you he's a cheat who gives the Americans everything.

Pulled Ricky Hatton up constantly for fighting inside then let Mayweather lower his head constantly, the last night allowed Hopkins to fight on the inside, hold and waste time constantly.

TheGreenMan
22-04-2008, 05:39 PM
'Firm but Fair' Joe is a joke. He basically gave Hatton no chance in his fight v's Mayweather but allowed Hopkins to do WORSE than Hatton by holding/using his elbows/Head Clashes on the inside (as Hatton actually tries to fight on the inside but Hopkins had no interest whatsoever in fighting after his 1st round knock down, he thought he could cruise to victory on points).

Then when it was obvious to everyone - Hopkins was cheating by wasting time trying to get his breath back by faking injury (2nd time) - Cortez does nothing (first time fair enough as it looked like he might have been hit low so the ref must give a max 5 mins recovery), but the 2nd time when he basically told Hopkins to just get on with the fight there were no points deducted, not even a warning:brickwall Surley there's a rule against faking injury in boxing!! This is the first i have ever seen this happen, it was unreal!

He's made me mad watching the two fights i've mentioned, I watch a lot of boxing and he spoiled both fights IMO but he always seems to get the big fights :grr:

Thankfully (and surprisingly, knowing what the Vegas judges are usually like) Calzaghe won! :greengrin It would have been an injustice and an insult to the sport of boxing if Hopkins was given that decision, although i think a potential mega multi million $$$ pay-per-view clash between Calzaghe/Jones Jr might have just edged the decision in favour of Calzaghe, the same way as Hatton won his first fight in the USA v's Luis Collazo - if the money men in the sport never seen the potential mega mega fight v's Mayweather coming for Hatton when he was given the decision v's Collazo then I'd eat my hat!

Not that im saying boxing is in any way corrupt :everythin

Toaods
22-04-2008, 06:44 PM
Cortez done everything in his power to keep the title with Hopkins - that way the fights remain in vegas and he gets the bookings for th eglamour bouts.

Calzaghe as good as pisssed himself laughing at the end when he said - ""Boxings all about politics".

Hopkins can't sell tickets anymore - Calzaghe does. Frank Warren was as good as begging the yanks to come out and support their man.

Hopkins v Clinton Woods on the undercard at the next Calzaghe bill wouldn't go amiss.