PDA

View Full Version : Snooker World Championship

G15 Hibs
18-04-2008, 04:55 PM
The action gets underway at the Crucible tomorrow- who's everyone's tip for the title?
I think it'll be one of the 20-somethings - Mark Selby, Stephen Maguire or Shaun 'the God Botherer' Murphy.

Calvin
18-04-2008, 06:17 PM
I concur, although I have a sneaky feeling Ding Junhui will surprise everyone and show his early promise.

Selby is a likely winner though.

Cod Boy
18-04-2008, 07:15 PM
i think magurie will win it

LustForLeith
18-04-2008, 08:45 PM
i think magurie will win it

:agree:

Lebron James
19-04-2008, 12:04 AM
My moneys on Neil Robertson 20/1 not bad.:wink:

Sauzee7062
19-04-2008, 12:25 AM
I've gone for Murphy at 9/1 and Ding at 12/1.

Hank Schrader
27-04-2008, 09:37 AM
Maguire is absolutely on fire just now, he whitewashed Neil Robertson 8-0 in the first session of their 2nd round match.

Can't see past him just now.

G15 Hibs
27-04-2008, 02:08 PM
The action gets underway at the Crucible tomorrow- who's everyone's tip for the title?
I think it'll be one of the 20-somethings - Mark Selby, Stephen Maguire or Shaun 'the God Botherer' Murphy.

Shows you what I know - Selby and Murphy both out already! As other posters have said though, Maguire is looking superb. So's the young Chinese guy Liang that I'm watching just now.

PC Stamp
27-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Not forgetting that Ding was given a lesson by Hendry as well.

3pm
27-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Does Liang have a chance? I am impressed with him so far. :agree:

Loobrush
28-04-2008, 02:35 PM
Just watched Ronnie's 147 live. Unbelievable stuff. :thumbsup:

G15 Hibs
28-04-2008, 04:58 PM
Just watched Ronnie's 147 live. Unbelievable stuff. :thumbsup:

If he keeps playing like that no-one can live with him.

Hank Schrader
28-04-2008, 09:36 PM
If he keeps playing like that no-one can live with him.

Until he presses the self destruct button......

Monts
29-04-2008, 12:10 PM
Has there ever been a better natural talent in snooker than Ronnie?

He is astonishingly good.

Players like Hendry, Davis and Taylor were all great players, but you always got the feeling they've had to work themselves extremely hard in order to get to the standard they are at, whereas with Ronnie, you feel its just his natural game.

Im not the biggest fan of Ronnie the man, but Ronnie the snooker player is absolutely top notch :agree:

G15 Hibs
29-04-2008, 04:45 PM
Has there ever been a better natural talent in snooker than Ronnie?

He is astonishingly good.

Players like Hendry, Davis and Taylor were all great players, but you always got the feeling they've had to work themselves extremely hard in order to get to the standard they are at, whereas with Ronnie, you feel its just his natural game.

Im not the biggest fan of Ronnie the man, but Ronnie the snooker player is absolutely top notch :agree:

Totally agree, he can be an erse, but when he can be bothered he's superb to watch and can do things no other player can. If he didn't have his 'off' periods he would have won as many World titles as Hendry and Davis.

davym7062
29-04-2008, 08:51 PM
ali carter just got half ronnies dough:thumbsup:

The cooler king
29-04-2008, 09:08 PM
Wrestling of the 21st century.

Tony Knowles beats Steve Davis 10-1......:wink:

PC Stamp
29-04-2008, 09:36 PM
ali carter just got half ronnies dough:thumbsup:

That'll only be a half a Bentley convertibe for the Chigwell ned then! :greengrin

'Mon the Hibs
29-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Well done Ali:thumbsup:

The standard of snooker this tournament has been awesome. I've never heard of so many close maximums as I have this tournament. Hendry has missed the 15th red 3 times.

You'd get a good price on there being another 147 before the end:agree:

Craig_in_Prague
30-04-2008, 11:32 AM
Thanks to BBC restricting everything and not being able to watch online or nowt; how is hendry playing, will he stand a good chance of beating Ronnie in the semi-finals :confused:

G15 Hibs
30-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Thanks to BBC restricting everything and not being able to watch online or nowt; how is hendry playing, will he stand a good chance of beating Ronnie in the semi-finals :confused:

Hendry's playing as well as he has done in years. Maybe not back to his mid-90s best, but better than he's been in a long time. Looks really focused and hasn't been letting things get to him like he has done in the past couple of seasons.

Whether he'll beat Ronnie is another matter. If Ronnie plays like he has been it's hard to see past him, but Hendry's definitely in with a chance. It's gonna be a superb semi final anyway, would have made a great final.

PC Stamp
30-04-2008, 08:06 PM
Hendry's playing as well as he has done in years. Maybe not back to his mid-90s best, but better than he's been in a long time. Looks really focused and hasn't been letting things get to him like he has done in the past couple of seasons.

Whether he'll beat Ronnie is another matter. If Ronnie plays like he has been it's hard to see past him, but Hendry's definitely in with a chance. It's gonna be a superb semi final anyway, would have made a great final.

He's been working with his coach on his safety game which has been transformed beyond recognition. Interviewed after beating Day he said "I still think safety is over rated but I'm in the semi final so I can't really complain too much!"

Two things are needed to beat O'Sullivan .... a solid safety game which will frustrate him and an ability to know how to win at the Crucible. Hendry certainly knows how to win in Sheffield. The test is if can he stay disciplined on the safety game? We'll soon see. Hopefully it'll be a great match. :agree:

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-05-2008, 01:59 PM
Good start for Hendry, 3-0 up, 140 break in frame one. :thumbsup:

bigstu
02-05-2008, 11:01 AM
Good start for Hendry, 3-0 up, 140 break in frame one. :thumbsup:

he's getting humped now :boo hoo:

PC Stamp
02-05-2008, 11:08 AM
he's getting humped now :boo hoo:

O'Sullivan has been unbelievable. Rattling in century breaks and full table clearances for fun. No-one could live with it.

That said, Hendry is getting no luck or run of the balls at all. He cannot miss a ball but O'Sullivan clears up!

Sir David Gray
03-05-2008, 08:16 PM
Ronnie O'Sullivan was absolutely sensational in beating Stephen Hendry in the semis, there is no doubt that he will win it this year.

During one of his many clearances yesterday, one of the commentators compared him to Roger Federer and Tiger Woods in the way that all three men totally dominate their sport and they make their sports, which are all difficult in their own right, look incredibly easy.

When he is in the right frame of mind, no-one on the current snooker circuit can live with O'Sullivan.

Ronnie O'Sullivan is a snooker genius and they say that all sporting geniuses are flawed in one way or another and that couldn't be more true in Ronnie's case.

IMO it doesn't matter who wins between Ali Carter and Joe Perry, if Ronnie wants to win it, he will.

MSK
03-05-2008, 08:22 PM
Ronnie O'Sullivan was absolutely sensational in beating Stephen Hendry in the semis, there is no doubt that he will win it this year.

During one of his many clearances yesterday, one of the commentators compared him to Roger Federer and Tiger Woods in the way that all three men totally dominate their sport and they make their sports, which are all difficult in their own right, look incredibly easy.

When he is in the right frame of mind, no-one on the current snooker circuit can live with O'Sullivan.

Ronnie O'Sullivan is a snooker genius and they say that all sporting geniuses are flawed in one way or another and that couldn't be more true in Ronnie's case.

IMO it doesn't matter who wins between Ali Carter and Joe Perry, if Ronnie wants to win it, he will.:agree: