PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Cup playoffs thread

CalgaryHibs
05-04-2008, 01:59 PM
I know theres a few Flames here , Calgary backed there way into the playoff round , still on a losing streak.
Winning 3 out 11 games

while Edmonton who missed the playoff round won 13 out of 19 games ?
figure this out ?

PC Stamp
06-04-2008, 08:01 PM
A win at Edmonton and a 7-1 routing of the Canutes at their own places suggests that we may be peaking at the right time. With so many divisional match ups towards the end of the season, the hard point gathering was done earlier on. The 6 away game win streak being a prime example. The NW Divivion was a real humdinger again. Not much between any of them.

GhostofBolivar
07-04-2008, 02:03 AM
Gonna be real hard getting past the Sharks though. They've been awesome since the trade deadline.

PC Stamp
07-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Gonna be real hard getting past the Sharks though. They've been awesome since the trade deadline. Top goalie in the league v 3rd top. Should be a doozy. Hopefully the Sharks have peaked a wee bit too soon.

GhostofBolivar
07-04-2008, 05:11 PM
Top goalie in the league v 3rd top. Should be a doozy. Hopefully the Sharks have peaked a wee bit too soon.

Think I'd call Kiprusoff the3rd best goalie in the league. Not sure where I'd rank Nabokov. Seems to me that the Sharks have too much depth up front. I'd say SJ in 5 or 6 unlrss Kiprusoff spends a fortnight standing on his head.

CalgaryHibs
08-04-2008, 04:13 AM
The 7-1 game in Vancouver was no-hitter, must have been 3 body checks in the whole game. Jerome got his 50th goal that night which made the win more sweeter.

Flames were 3-1 against the Sharks this year all stats between this two teams are almost even, the only glaring stat Calgary took way more penalties and the key to this series is CALGARY has play 5 on 5 to win.

Games on wed and thurs nite or thurs morning and friday morning for yoo guy in the UK. Face off is aboot 3:30 am .

Hibbie_Cameron
08-04-2008, 12:28 PM
Ill miss the first two games due to early starts on Thursday, Friday and Sat. Will hopefully catch 2 or 3 from there on in.

Go Flames Go!

GhostofBolivar
10-04-2008, 03:46 AM
Going well for Atlanta :devil: so far. 3-1 up heading into the 3rd. Always the danger with SJ. Too soft.

PC Stamp
10-04-2008, 09:57 AM
Magnificent 3-2 win in Game 1 for the Flames. That now gives them home ice advantage right at the start!

PC Stamp
10-04-2008, 10:00 AM
Going well for Atlanta :devil: so far. 3-1 up heading into the 3rd. Always the danger with SJ. Too soft.

I missed that! Atlanta didn't actually make the play offs. :na na:

GhostofBolivar
10-04-2008, 02:54 PM
I missed that! Atlanta didn't actually make the play offs. :na na:

I imagine you know as well as I do that their original team did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calgary_Flames

I notice the Nordiques won last night too.

PC Stamp
10-04-2008, 11:10 PM
I imagine you know as well as I do that their original team did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calgary_Flames

I notice the Nordiques won last night too.

Aye, but now that the Thrashers exist we can forget the old lot now.

However, until Quebec gets another franchise .... :wink:

Sylar
11-04-2008, 12:00 AM
Montreal are currently leading the Bruins 2-1 in the 1st interval.

GhostofBolivar
11-04-2008, 01:58 AM
Aye, but now that the Thrashers exist we can forget the old lot now.

However, until Quebec gets another franchise .... :wink:

I think Canada could quite happily support another franchise in a city like Winnipeg, Hamilton or Quebec. The dollar exchange is pretty much 1:1 and there are a number of weak teams in the US that have poor attendences. But after what happened with the Predators last year, it's clear the NHL don't want a team to move to Canada.

GhostofBolivar
11-04-2008, 03:27 AM
Game 2 going well for the Sharks. Quiet through the 1st, but they lead 1-0 and Calgary can't stop taking penalties.

Edit: Absolutely miraculous the score's only 2-0 after 2. The Flames took 7 penalties in 12 and a half minutes and were outshot 27-3 in the 2nd. You can't win when you play that stupidly. I should know.

Dallas lead 4-0. Monster performance on the pp. I find that very suprising.

PC Stamp
11-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Game 2 going well for the Sharks. Quiet through the 1st, but they lead 1-0 and Calgary can't stop taking penalties.

Edit: Absolutely miraculous the score's only 2-0 after 2. The Flames took 7 penalties in 12 and a half minutes and were outshot 27-3 in the 2nd. You can't win when you play that stupidly. I should know.

Dallas lead 4-0. Monster performance on the pp. I find that very suprising.

I don't think the Flames were particularly happy with the standard of officiating, particularly during the 2nd period and plan to take it up with the NHL commissioners and the officials supervisors.

Complaining about dodgy decisions going to one of the top seeded American teams ... not sure that'll stand them in good stead. :wink:

Compare it to game 1 where there were only 4 penalties in the whole game.

Still ... overall a 1-1 split was a decent achievement with two games now back to back in Calgary.

Some performance indeed from Dallas. :agree:

GhostofBolivar
12-04-2008, 03:43 AM
I don't think the Flames were particularly happy with the standard of officiating, particularly during the 2nd period and plan to take it up with the NHL commissioners and the officials supervisors.

Complaining about dodgy decisions going to one of the top seeded American teams ... not sure that'll stand them in good stead. :wink:

Compare it to game 1 where there were only 4 penalties in the whole game.

Still ... overall a 1-1 split was a decent achievement with two games now back to back in Calgary.

Some performance indeed from Dallas. :agree:

You're always happy with a split on the road to open a series.

Didn't see the game, but I listened to a Calgary-biased radio feed on nhl.com and the commentators felt that the Flames let things unravel somewhat. I'm not sure I'd trust anything Mike Keenan said anyway.

And considering the Wild have just gone into OT cos the officials blew a call that led to a pp equaliser for the Nordiques, it's not like the Flames are being singled out.

Edit: But the Wild just won.

Still, as long as Ottawa keep losing, it's all good.

:singing: Alfie, Alfie, How's yer heid?

PC Stamp
12-04-2008, 08:52 PM
You're always happy with a split on the road to open a series.

Didn't see the game, but I listened to a Calgary-biased radio feed on nhl.com and the commentators felt that the Flames let things unravel somewhat. I'm not sure I'd trust anything Mike Keenan said anyway.

And considering the Wild have just gone into OT cos the officials blew a call that led to a pp equaliser for the Nordiques, it's not like the Flames are being singled out.

Edit: But the Wild just won.

Still, as long as Ottawa keep losing, it's all good.

:singing: Alfie, Alfie, How's yer heid?

I don't think they're being singled out. As usual, all the smaller and unfancied franchises will be singled out.
Wild had to win that one or it would possibly have been a 4-0 sweep. Still have to have the "Nordiques" as favourites.

GhostofBolivar
13-04-2008, 03:29 AM
I don't think they're being singled out. As usual, all the smaller and unfancied franchises will be singled out.
Wild had to win that one or it would possibly have been a 4-0 sweep. Still have to have the "Nordiques" as favourites.

I'm not sure I agree. I think that series is too close to call. I like what the Avs did at the deadline, but there are still questions about Theodore and no one knows how Forsberg will hold up in a drawn-out series.

The Wild are a very well coached, very smart two-way team. Marian Gaborik aside, they're low on star power, but they get balanced and timely scoring. They've also been much better on the pp and pk. I see it going the full 7.

In the end, I'd feel wrong taking the maroon team over the green team. I'm rooting for the Wild (along with the Capitals, who appear to be the official Maple Leaf fan bandwagon team).

GhostofBolivar
13-04-2008, 04:10 AM
In other news: owwww (http://deadspin.com/379086/nightmare-fuel-from-the-nhl-playoffs) :yikes!::faint:

And how good was Ovechkin's gwg? Awesome play :thumbsup:

PC Stamp
13-04-2008, 11:03 AM
In other news: owwww (http://deadspin.com/379086/nightmare-fuel-from-the-nhl-playoffs) :yikes!::faint:

And how good was Ovechkin's gwg? Awesome play :thumbsup:

Sair yin!

As was another tonking for the reigning champs at home from the Stars. That series looks over already.

CalgaryHibs
13-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Sair yin!

As was another tonking for the reigning champs at home from the Stars. That series looks over already.

======
The Ducks are in trouble now , once again a parade to the penalty box killed them. The Ducks topped the league with the most penalties this year and they think there gona win this way? no chance!!

Flames are home for two , me i'll very happy with one win at home.

Note: i never see PC Stamp over on the Hibs chat board anymore.:greengrin:wink:

PC Stamp
13-04-2008, 07:47 PM
======
The Ducks are in trouble now , once again a parade to the penalty box killed them. The Ducks topped the league with the most penalties this year and they think there gona win this way? no chance!!

Flames are home for two , me i'll very happy with one win at home.

Note: i never see PC Stamp over on the Hibs chat board anymore.:greengrin:wink:

Too much time chatting to my new North American buddies! :wink:

Flames should be capable of taking both games at the 'Dome. That would really crank up the pressure on the Sharks. :agree:

Hibbie_Cameron
14-04-2008, 12:47 PM
Flames win 4-3 after being 3 down in the first. Cujo replacing Kipper and saving 22 shots and inspire the flames comeback:greengrin

PC Stamp
14-04-2008, 01:14 PM
Flames win 4-3 after being 3 down in the first. Cujo replacing Kipper and saving 22 shots and inspire the flames comeback:greengrin

Aye ... 3 down in the first three and a half minutes!!!!

That must give them a huge boost and was a real kick in the stanes for the Sharks, if Sharks have stanes! :greengrin

Hibbie_Cameron
14-04-2008, 01:17 PM
Aye ... 3 down in the first three and a half minutes!!!!

That must give them a huge boost and was a real kick in the stanes for the Sharks, if Sharks have stanes! :greengrin

Aye great stuff and momentum must be at all time high leading into wednesday night.

Wonder if Cujo will start or if Kipper will retain?

PC Stamp
14-04-2008, 01:38 PM
Aye great stuff and momentum must be at all time high leading into wednesday night.

Wonder if Cujo will start or if Kipper will retain?

Coach was tight lipped on that one at post game press conference. I'll go Kipper. He usually bounces back superbly from such set backs.

What a hit BTW from Cory Sarich on Patrick Marleau!! Bang - Ouch!

Hibbie_Cameron
14-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Coach was tight lipped on that one at post game press conference. I'll go Kipper. He usually bounces back superbly from such set backs.

What a hit BTW from Cory Sarich on Patrick Marleau!! Bang - Ouch!

Yeah was some hit, certainly got the crowd going too

Jumbo
14-04-2008, 04:23 PM
The Sharks are usually strong during the regular season, but come the play offs their bottle seems to crash :agree: Think last nights game could be the one that gives the Flames the series

GhostofBolivar
14-04-2008, 07:16 PM
The Sarich hit (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2rvOQHSXKU&feature=related) Is not better than this: hit of the season (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7e5kjOMzIc&NR=1)

Recent highlights:

The Nabokov save (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV0LwqG7twc&feature=related)

An Ovechgasm (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOJrqgvh0Y4&feature=related)

He is scary good (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iQHx_Ak2cE)

Gary Roberts: Sens Killer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U__EZyy43Y)

Boston win? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc9CisKS73g)

PC Stamp
14-04-2008, 08:22 PM
Tough to call. Marleau certainly looked a bit worse for wear than Alfredsson did.

GhostofBolivar
14-04-2008, 08:52 PM
Tough to call. Marleau certainly looked a bit worse for wear than Alfredsson did.

Marleau played 21 minutes last night. I doubt he missed a shift.

The Bell hit happened April 3. Alfredsson hasn't played a second since. ESPN are saying he might play game 3 tonight.

PC Stamp
14-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Marleau played 21 minutes last night. I doubt he missed a shift.

The Bell hit happened April 3. Alfredsson hasn't played a second since. ESPN are saying he might play game 3 tonight.

Concussion is a nasty thing. I think there are set rules that say they have to have a set time out if concussed maybe 10 days which would fit in with a possible return tonight?

Was more saying that Marleau looked worse externally than questioning who was hurt more.

Edit - Teams have adopted guidelines that include players’ being concussion symptom free for five days before they are allowed to return to the ice. Teams are required to conduct neurological tests on all their players before the season to provide baseline scores to measure players’ return to normal after they are injured. Teams also must report head injuries to the league office."

- from the NY Times when Brendan Shanahan was out concussed.

Then again, when discussing hockey hits there are differing arguments as to what constitutes a good hit. One which takes an opponent out without leaving lasting or lengthy damage or one which causes serious/long term injury. You could argue in this case that Bell's hit was the harder hit but that Sarich's was better as it did the required job without lasting effects.

Guess it depends on how you like to see the game played?

GhostofBolivar
14-04-2008, 09:16 PM
Concussion is a nasty thing. I think there are set rules that say they have to have a set time out if concussed maybe 10 days which would fit in with a possible return tonight?

Was more saying that Marleau looked worse externally than questioning who was hurt more.

Edit - Teams have adopted guidelines that include players’ being concussion symptom free for five days before they are allowed to return to the ice. Teams are required to conduct neurological tests on all their players before the season to provide baseline scores to measure players’ return to normal after they are injured. Teams also must report head injuries to the league office."

- from the NY Times when Brendan Shanahan was out concussed.

Then it probably isn't concussion. The Sens haven't disclosed the nature of Alfredsson's injury (or injuries).

PC Stamp
14-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Then it probably isn't concussion. The Sens haven't disclosed the nature of Alfredsson's injury (or injuries).

Probably wise leading up to the play offs. Someone else will just go after him if they know what to aim for. That said it may also be the case that it's taken him a while to shake off the effects and he's now only just reached or reaching 5 days symptom free. It was a fair clatter!

CalgaryHibs
15-04-2008, 01:01 AM
Curtis was ootstanding when he came in to replace Kipper, word aroond town is will start game 4?????
Why not?
Miikka is having abit of trouble with the Sharks rite now, they seam to have his number, as yoo guys said he normally bounces back with a great after a bad one.

Cory huge hit on Marleau is the talk here, that hit sparked the Flames and we got a goal shorty after on the power play.

Hibbie_Cameron
15-04-2008, 01:23 AM
Cujo has played well since coming in, i certainly would not have any problems with him starting game 4. With Kipper having a mare and determined to put last night behind him, it can only be good for the flames having such healthy competition

GhostofBolivar
15-04-2008, 04:15 AM
The Sens fall to 0-3. I smell sweep :thumbsup:

Pheona
15-04-2008, 08:53 AM
Can someone sum up what is happening since last week I am working in Inverness at the moment and away from my NASN?

Quick summary?
Please

Thanks v much :greengrin

PC Stamp
15-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Montreal Canadiens lead Boston Bruins 2-1 in series. Next game in Boston tonight.

Washington Capitals and Philadelphia Flyers tied at 1-1. Game 3 tonight in Philly.

Detroit Red Wings lead Nashville Predators 2-1. Preds won last night to get back in it.

Minnesota Wild lead Colorado Avalanche 2-1. Next game tonight in Denver. This one is going all the way IMHO. 3 games played each game ending up 3-2 to the winner after OT!

Pittsburgh Penguins lead Ottawa Senators 3-0. Has a 4-0 sweep all over it.

NY Rangers lead NJ Devils 2-1. Rangers won first 2 in NJ and NJ won at MSG. Next game in NYC tomorrow.

Calgary Flames lead San Jose Sharks 2-1. Next game Calgary tonight.

Dallas Stars lead Anaheim Ducks 2-0. 2 wins in Anaheim. Also has 4-0 sweep written all over it! Curse of the defending champs strikes again.

Part/Time Supporter
15-04-2008, 03:45 PM
The Sens fall to 0-3. I smell sweep :thumbsup:

Sens have sucked ever since that dumb panicky trade with Carolina.

marlow
15-04-2008, 05:48 PM
Sens are really disappointing... Montreal seems tough though.... Got NASN few days ago and I'm gonna record many many games in the next few weeks.....

PC Stamp
16-04-2008, 03:10 PM
Dull one last night for the Flames. Leading with just less than 5 mins to play and end up losing it in the last 10 secs. That could be a big blow. Then again they have a grteat play off record at the Shark Tank so I won't write them off just yet.

Anaheim come stroming back meanwhile against Dallas and the Avs hammer Minnesota in the first "non OT decided by the odd goal in 5" game of their series!

Pheona
16-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Montreal Canadiens lead Boston Bruins 2-1 in series. Next game in Boston tonight.

Washington Capitals and Philadelphia Flyers tied at 1-1. Game 3 tonight in Philly.

Detroit Red Wings lead Nashville Predators 2-1. Preds won last night to get back in it.

Minnesota Wild lead Colorado Avalanche 2-1. Next game tonight in Denver. This one is going all the way IMHO. 3 games played each game ending up 3-2 to the winner after OT!

Pittsburgh Penguins lead Ottawa Senators 3-0. Has a 4-0 sweep all over it.

NY Rangers lead NJ Devils 2-1. Rangers won first 2 in NJ and NJ won at MSG. Next game in NYC tomorrow.

Calgary Flames lead San Jose Sharks 2-1. Next game Calgary tonight.

Dallas Stars lead Anaheim Ducks 2-0. 2 wins in Anaheim. Also has 4-0 sweep written all over it! Curse of the defending champs strikes again.

mmmmm...

Thanks PC.

Part/Time Supporter
16-04-2008, 05:50 PM
The Habs won game 4 by 1-0 in Boston. I would be surprised if Montreal doesn't go a long way in the playoffs, maybe the finals. Price's play has justified trading away Huet, which seemed a bit strange at the time.

PC Stamp
17-04-2008, 11:32 AM
Game over for the Senators. 3-1 loss to Pittsburgh means a 4-0 sweep.

GhostofBolivar
17-04-2008, 07:03 PM
Has anyone seen Jason Spezza and Dany Heatley? Their families are very concerned. They've been missing for a week, last seen in the vicinity of the regular season.

GhostofBolivar
18-04-2008, 05:45 AM
If I was Mikka Kiprusoff I'd demand a trade (http://melroserocks.blogspot.com/2008/04/thats-not-unbelieveably-creepy-no-not.html) :crazy:

Part/Time Supporter
18-04-2008, 07:05 AM
Oh well, looks like I just jinxed Montreal, Boston won game 5 by 5-1 and Price made a big boo-boo.

PC Stamp
18-04-2008, 10:54 AM
If I was Mikka Kiprusoff I'd demand a trade (http://melroserocks.blogspot.com/2008/04/thats-not-unbelieveably-creepy-no-not.html) :crazy:

:faf:
The number of shots Kipper has to face at times he could maybe do with the young guy behind him in the net!!

Hibbie_Cameron
18-04-2008, 12:13 PM
Seems a close series, one that we are likely to lose out on unless we do things the hard way:brickwall

PC Stamp
18-04-2008, 06:00 PM
Seems a close series, one that we are likely to lose out on unless we do things the hard way:brickwall

That's the way Calgary usually do things! :wink:

Part/Time Supporter
18-04-2008, 06:15 PM

That's scary. I'm not sure if a trade would work though, that kid would probably follow Kipper wherever he was traded.

:greengrin

Hibbie_Cameron
19-04-2008, 02:43 PM
Flames game is live tomorrow night/ monday morning on NASN at 1am. Ill be sitting up for that one:thumbsup:

PC Stamp
19-04-2008, 09:20 PM
A goon has the cheek to level an accusation of lacking sportsmanship at Martin Brodeur who is IMHO one of the classiest players in the game!!! Avery is lucky that Brodeur didn't break his face for him after his pathetic antics throughout the series. Failing to shake his hand was probably the classiest gesture he could expect.

It's a-holes like Avery that I don't mind seeing getting taken apart by the bigger and better hitters in the game.

Saddest thing is that the Devils allowed it to upset them.

I'll like to see him try it against the likes of the Red Wings.

Sean "the goon" Avery (http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=360975&page=NewsPage&service=page)

GhostofBolivar
20-04-2008, 05:31 AM
The Wild go out; The Capitals stay alive; Boston force a game 7. Big pressure on Montreal now. It'd be a huge upset to go out having led 3-1 against a team they traditionally flay in the regular season.

PC Stamp
20-04-2008, 11:26 AM
The Wild go out; The Capitals stay alive; Boston force a game 7. Big pressure on Montreal now. It'd be a huge upset to go out having led 3-1 against a team they traditionally flay in the regular season.

Curse of the division winners in the NW again!

Hibbie_Cameron
21-04-2008, 12:02 AM
Come On Flames!!

Hibbie_Cameron
21-04-2008, 12:12 AM
Jesus christ Tanguay shoulda scored after a minute:brickwall

PC Stamp
21-04-2008, 12:27 AM
Go on the Belfast Boy Owen Nolan!!!

Hibbie_Cameron
21-04-2008, 12:31 AM
Good stuff so far, maybe harsh that the score is only 1-0 tbh.

Whats the feeling on Tanguay? Cant say he is my favourite, thought he was wanting away before trade deadline?

PC Stamp
21-04-2008, 12:32 AM
Good stuff so far, maybe harsh that the score is only 1-0 tbh.

Whats the feeling on Tanguay? Cant say he is my favourite, thought he was wanting away before trade deadline?

Hasn't been half the player in Calgary that he was in Colorado.
Candidate for moving on in the summer I'd say.

Hibbie_Cameron
21-04-2008, 12:34 AM
Hasn't been half the player in Calgary that he was in Colorado.
Candidate for moving on in the summer I'd say.

Thought so, i only really go by highlights, but the idea i get is that he would rather be elsewhere

Hibbie_Cameron
21-04-2008, 12:43 AM
Jesus christ, another close call, cant beleive its only 1-0. A play similar to the yams in football there:wink:

PC Stamp
21-04-2008, 12:44 AM
Jesus christ, another close call, cant beleive its only 1-0. A play similar to the yams in football there:wink:

Decent 1st period. Need another two the same!

Hibbie_Cameron
21-04-2008, 12:49 AM
Definetly. Sharks have been quiet so far, we all know that wont last...............

Hibbie_Cameron
21-04-2008, 01:36 AM
Langkow!!

Hibbie_Cameron
21-04-2008, 02:34 AM
Finished 2-0 Excellent win for the flames, all set for the decider on tuesday night

PC Stamp
21-04-2008, 09:13 PM
If ever the Flames needed the archetypal Flames game it's tomorrow.

Hard and clean forechecking without ending up in the penalty box to knock the steam out of them along with Kipper bringing his "A" game. Iggy coming up with another Captain's performance ably supported by first big games of the series from Juice (Huselius) & Tanguay would be enough to do it.

First ever game 7 at home for the Sharks. When the Flames do game 7's they tend to be more often done away from home.

Here's hoping.

Hibbie_Cameron
21-04-2008, 09:48 PM
I think the match is live on NASN again but at 3am Wednesday morning

PC Stamp
21-04-2008, 11:30 PM
I think the match is live on NASN again but at 3am Wednesday morning

Aye this 3am nonsens is nae guid!
I have a 9am appt on Thursday. I'd be as well not going to ma scratcher!

Actually I've never watched a game 7 live involving the Flames apart from game 7 against those "buy the Stanley Cup and dodgy decision receiving" Tampa Bay imposters in 2004 .... and we lost! Maybe best if I give it a miss! :greengrin

Hibbie_Cameron
22-04-2008, 01:29 AM
Aye this 3am nonsens is nae guid!
I have a 9am appt on Thursday. I'd be as well not going to ma scratcher!

Actually I've never watched a game 7 live involving the Flames apart from game 7 against those "buy the Stanley Cup and dodgy decision receiving" Tampa Bay imposters in 2004 .... and we lost! Maybe best if I give it a miss! :greengrin

Aye tis a pain. I might stay up as im off on wednesday but its not ideal, will see how i feel as the night goes on

GhostofBolivar
22-04-2008, 07:08 PM
I love Alexander Ovechkin (http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3358112&categoryId=2459791):love ya!:

GhostofBolivar
23-04-2008, 06:04 AM
Well, that was a disappointing end to the first round. San Jose run roughshod all over the Flames and The Forces of Darkness (http://flyers.nhl.com/) get lucky against the Capitals :boo hoo:

At least the Montreal fans celebrated their win with customary graciousness. (http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3358180)

I think this leaves us with the Penguins as the only team I don't despise. Though for sheer entertainment value I'd quite like a Habs - Stars Finals. Imagine the hate that'd generate :devil:

stu in nottingham
23-04-2008, 06:47 AM
At least the Montreal fans celebrated their win with customary graciousness.

Thanks. It comes from years of practice.

PC Stamp
23-04-2008, 10:32 AM
Thanks. It comes from years of practice.

I know we've had our banter over the hockey S. but you know I'll always back a Canadian team over any other. It's good to see the Habs back to looking like a great hockey team again. It's been a while in coming and fans like theirs deserve it. I hope they can go all the way. It's high time Canada had a Stanley Cup winner again.

Sadly, the archetypal Flames game that was needed was nowhere in evidence and based on the overall season they had, getting to Game 7 was an achievement in itself. A major rebuild required now in Calgary IMHO. Too many players there on the wrong side of 30.

Hibbie_Cameron
23-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Highlight of the night for me was when i fell a sleep prematch and woke up with only 3 mins left:greengrin

Part/Time Supporter
24-04-2008, 03:32 PM
Well, that was a disappointing end to the first round. San Jose run roughshod all over the Flames and The Forces of Darkness (http://flyers.nhl.com/) get lucky against the Capitals :boo hoo:

At least the Montreal fans celebrated their win with customary graciousness. (http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3358180)

I think this leaves us with the Penguins as the only team I don't despise. Though for sheer entertainment value I'd quite like a Habs - Stars Finals. Imagine the hate that'd generate :devil:

ie George Gillett v Tom Hicks

Bring it on

GhostofBolivar
25-04-2008, 12:30 AM
ie George Gillett v Tom Hicks

Bring it on

Exactly. Normally, rivalries come about from what happens on the ice - the Avery v Brodeur thing's a classic example. I can't imagine how quickly those teams would start to hate each other when the owners have fallen out to such an extent.

Anyway. Detroit have jumped out to a 3-1 lead at the 1st intermission in game 1. And Philly led 2-0 in Montreal at the same point.

stu in nottingham
25-04-2008, 06:39 AM
I know we've had our banter over the hockey S. but you know I'll always back a Canadian team over any other. It's good to see the Habs back to looking like a great hockey team again. It's been a while in coming and fans like theirs deserve it. I hope they can go all the way. It's high time Canada had a Stanley Cup winner again.

Sadly, the archetypal Flames game that was needed was nowhere in evidence and based on the overall season they had, getting to Game 7 was an achievement in itself. A major rebuild required now in Calgary IMHO. Too many players there on the wrong side of 30.

I agree mate. Alway a Canadian team first no matter which one. I wouldn't allow bitterness or jealousy get in the way of that.

Sorry about Calgary. It seems their best chance may have gone with that particular set of players doen't it? They do Alberta and smaller budget teams generally, proud though. One or two larger budget teams could learn from them.

Cadger
27-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Was pretty bumbed the Canucks didnt make the playoffs but oh well, been following the playoffs hope the Canadiens do well.

any ideas when the final is? i know its in June just wanna put in holidays! :agree:

Cheers

PC Stamp
27-04-2008, 10:55 AM
Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final (if it goes that far) is scheduled to be played no later than 9th June.

GhostofBolivar
28-04-2008, 02:22 AM
Saturday's highlights (http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3369932&categoryId=2459791&n8pe6c=2)

I feel sorry for the octopus.

GhostofBolivar
06-05-2008, 01:03 AM
Is that the police? Brad Richards has been robbed. (http://nvsportsandthecity.blogspot.com/2008/05/best-save-everfor-real-this-time.html)

PC Stamp
06-05-2008, 07:57 AM
Unbelievable save. Ultimately didn't matter though as the Sharks still choked as per normal. :greengrin

GhostofBolivar
06-05-2008, 04:17 PM
What is it with Sharks skating with their heads down next to the boards? (http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3381701&categoryId=2459791&n8pe6c=2)