PDA

View Full Version : Baseball

Sylar
04-03-2008, 09:29 AM
Seems like hardly any time since the World Series concluded, but here we go again :thumbsup:

Spring training is underway and we're starting to see how the times are likely to line up for the coming season.

I'm biased, obviously, but I can't see passed the Tigers for the WS this year - with the acquisitions of Willis and Cabrera, we look dynamite offensively and add a much needed strength to the bullpen, particularly with the return of Zumaya to full fitness.

The new MLB.tv subscription kicked in at the weekend and i've already taken in 4 games (again, looking to be superb value!). Watched the Braves vs the Mets last night and the Mets look like they're set for another good season with some good offence!

Fat Stu
05-03-2008, 06:34 PM
can't wait for the start of the season and again I am considering NASN on sky.

Not sure what's been happening in the off season, however just checked the yankees roster and no apparent (Major)changes. Still feel we are a starter and a decent bullpen away from a unstoppable team, things like staying fit will obviously help.

Fully expect the usual fight with the sox for the divisional victory and reaching the play-offs, although at that stage I expect us to fall again.

Oh and I told you all A-Rod would never join the red-sox:bye::tee hee::devil:

Sylar
05-03-2008, 10:49 PM

Not sure what's been happening in the off season, however just checked the yankees roster and no apparent (Major)changes. Still feel we are a starter and a decent bullpen away from a unstoppable team, things like staying fit will obviously help.

Fully expect the usual fight with the sox for the divisional victory and reaching the play-offs, although at that stage I expect us to fall again.

Oh and I told you all A-Rod would never join the red-sox:bye::tee hee::devil:

We're apparantly favourites to take the division this year - having watched some of the Spring Training games so far, we look a decent shout for that accolade. Our pitching hasn't been brilliant, but Leyland has been outing a lot of the minor league pitchers and giving our closing pitchers some time at the mound - most teams will struggle with our offense this year (hopefully).

Watched your (and the rest of the UK's) Yankee's today against the Twins and was impressed (as usual) with the offense, but not the pitching staff - again though, it seemed to be mostly minor league pitchers who were getting a run out as the Twins won 5-7.

Would you be getting NASN purely for the baseball? If so, fire on to MLB.tv and subscribe there - means you get absolutely all games (including Spring Training, regular season and the postseason) for £42! Can't shake a fist at that!:wink:

Fat Stu
06-03-2008, 05:51 PM
We're apparantly favourites to take the division this year - having watched some of the Spring Training games so far, we look a decent shout for that accolade. Our pitching hasn't been brilliant, but Leyland has been outing a lot of the minor league pitchers and giving our closing pitchers some time at the mound - most teams will struggle with our offense this year (hopefully).

Watched your (and the rest of the UK's) Yankee's today against the Twins and was impressed (as usual) with the offense, but not the pitching staff - again though, it seemed to be mostly minor league pitchers who were getting a run out as the Twins won 5-7.

Would you be getting NASN purely for the baseball? If so, fire on to MLB.tv and subscribe there - means you get absolutely all games (including Spring Training, regular season and the postseason) for £42! Can't shake a fist at that!:wink:

I meant the AL east victory, always a 2 horse race and don't expect it to be any different. I said it last year the bats might get you to the play-offs but pitching wins the world series and just now our pitching isn't good enough.

Shrekko
08-03-2008, 10:14 PM
Watched your (and the rest of the UK's) Yankee's today

I'm a Yankees fan but the Red Sox are far and away the UK's most popular team according to all the polls on Channel 5 and the UK baseball web-site. Lots of Yankees caps around of course but 99 percent of folk dont even know what they're wearing!

I do agree with you re the Tigers though- I think they have a solid chance of winning the lot. I thought that last season mind you but the addition of Willis and Cabrera should help. A couple of injuries and loss of form from your pitchers killed you last season but I honestly think the Tigers have (on paper) the most talented and balanced team in the league.

As far as the Yankees go I reckon they have a great shout at the AL East and then it's all about who performs in the post season. They were the best team in baseball the second half of last regular season and the young pitchers they have should only improve. The Red Sox are an excellent team but not sure they are worthy of all the acclaim they've received recently. I thought they were better in 2004.

Should be a good season and I'm looking forward to seeing a couple of games at Yankee Stadium in early April.

mim
09-03-2008, 02:49 AM

You get NASN chucked in with the Setanta package on satellite. Superb deal, if you like boxing, baseball, horse racing (Racing UK) and footie.

I do. :wink:

hibsboy90
09-03-2008, 11:14 PM
:yikes!: I'm a Yankees fans but the Red Sox are far and away the UK's most popular team according to all the polls on Channel 5 and the UK baseball web-site. Lots of Yankees caps around of course but 99 percent of folk dont even know what they're wearing!

I do agree with you re the Tigers though- I think they have a solid chance of winning the lot. I thought that last season mind you but the addition of Willis and Cabrera should help. A couple of injuries and loss of form from your pitchers killed you last season but I honestly think the Tigers have (on paper) the most talented and balanced team in the league.

As far as the Yankees go I reckon they have a great shout at the AL East and then it's all about who performs in the post season. They were the best team in baseball the second half of last regular season and the young pitchers they have should only improve. The Red Sox are an excellent team but not sure they are worthy of all the acclaim they've received recently. I thought they were better in 2004.

Should be a good season and I'm looking forward to seeing a couple of games at Yankee Stadium in early April.
Lets Not start this argument again please :wink::greengrin (sure that most baseball fans on here remember the mammoth thread)

I'm not sure about MLB.tv, seems a good idea, but the game timings are during the night. The only ones at sensible UK times are the Sunday afternoon games.

Sylar
10-03-2008, 11:14 AM
Lets Not start this argument again please :wink::greengrin (sure that most baseball fans on here remember the mammoth thread)

I'm not sure about MLB.tv, seems a good idea, but the game timings are during the night. The only ones at sensible UK times are the Sunday afternoon games.

You don't need to watch the games live though - all of them are archived so you can watch them at more suitable times - that's usually the way I do it to be honest.

Perth Hibee
10-03-2008, 12:11 PM
thanks to work managed to get to a few blue jays games and a few mets games and really started to enjoy baseball last season. As i have setanta i therefore get NASN, more sleepless nights watching the west coast games :thumbsup:

Pheona
10-03-2008, 12:49 PM
thanks to work managed to get to a few blue jays games and a few mets games and really started to enjoy baseball last season. As i have setanta i therefore get NASN, more sleepless nights watching the west coast games :thumbsup:

That B*****Y NASN lot have a lot to answer for:

Baseball Brat

what ever happened to normal children that play football?

Shrekko
13-03-2008, 11:08 PM
You don't need to watch the games live though - all of them are archived so you can watch them at more suitable times - that's usually the way I do it to be honest.

Only prob with that is it's really hard to do it without knowing the score first.

To be honest- even if you watch 2/3 games live a week it's still great value. It was working out about 8 quid a month last year which is not bad. The fact that you can pick your game and switch to other games at any time makes it a superb deal.

marlow
22-03-2008, 04:46 PM
I'm huge baseball fan too, I also like Ice Hockey... pity that in UK these sports are not that popular....

Part/Time Supporter
30-03-2008, 06:41 AM
115,300 people at an exhibition game at the Coliseum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_Memorial_Coliseum) between the Dodgers and Red Sox.

Check out this picture (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/pgStory?contentId=7968608#sport=MLB&photo=7969610).

Fairly crazy dimensions because it is a track & field stadium, built for the 1932 Olympics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1932_Summer_Olympics). 200 feet to left with a 60 foot screen, 400+ feet to right. You can understand why they built Dodger Stadium (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodger_Stadium) in the Chavez Ravine pronto after playing in those dimensions for a few years (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_Memorial_Coliseum#1950s-1960s). The Coliseum is mainly used for USC football nowadays, since the NFL teams left Los Angeles.

Stoney Hibee
30-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Only prob with that is it's really hard to do it without knowing the score first.

To be honest- even if you watch 2/3 games live a week it's still great value. It was working out about 8 quid a month last year which is not bad. The fact that you can pick your game and switch to other games at any time makes it a superb deal.

I have just got MLB.tv, when the credit card bill came in has worked out at £45 for the season, over seven months, thats £6 and change a month - pretty good value for pretty much unlimited sport for seven months.

As a Red Sox fan I am obviously hoping for a repeat of last year, but they have stood still player wise from last year (in fact with Schilling being out until at least the all star break, they may be weaker) and I dont think you can afford to do that, They are also relying on young players for 40% of their rotation, I am not sure that is sustainable over the season, especially given Lester and Buchholz had dodgy spring training. But if Colon comes good you never know, but from the pics I have seen he is nearing blimp size:agree:

With the moves the Tigers have made they are looking pretty good and with the Indians also being a year older it is looking like being a pretty exciting year ahead.

But what makes Baseball such a great sport is that teams come from nowhere and do really well - there would not have been many people sitting this time last year predicting that the Brewers and Rockies would have the seasons they did.

Sylar
30-03-2008, 11:26 AM
I have just got MLB.tv, when the credit card bill came in has worked out at £45 for the season, over seven months, thats £6 and change a month - pretty good value for pretty much unlimited sport for seven months.

As a Red Sox fan I am obviously hoping for a repeat of last year, but they have stood still player wise from last year (in fact with Schilling being out until at least the all star break, they may be weaker) and I dont think you can afford to do that, They are also relying on young players for 40% of their rotation, I am not sure that is sustainable over the season, especially given Lester and Buchholz had dodgy spring training. But if Colon comes good you never know, but from the pics I have seen he is nearing blimp size:agree:

With the moves the Tigers have made they are looking pretty good and with the Indians also being a year older it is looking like being a pretty exciting year ahead.

But what makes Baseball such a great sport is that teams come from nowhere and do really well - there would not have been many people sitting this time last year predicting that the Brewers and Rockies would have the seasons they did.

Having got to the end of Spring Training (for us anyway) i'm less optomistic than I was before it started - we've made a lot of moves offensively, tieing up Cabrera, Renteria and Jacques, but the one acquisition we've made to our pitching staff (Dontrelle Willis) has failed to impress me at all during Spring). Our entire pitching staff have failed to impress me actually and I really think we'll struggle with Zumaya and Rodney injured in our bullpen. Offensively, I don't think there is a team that comes close to us this season, but offense will only win you so many games - I don't think (anymore) that our pitching staff is good enough to win us "It All". In saying that, Spring Training isn't always too indicative as to where a team will be come opening day. Gutted we now have to start without Curtis Granderson who's broken his finger :boo hoo:

I quite fancy the White Sox as an outside bet this year - they have to come good sooner or later. Also think the Braves will be in with a good shout of making the playoffs this year - they've gone about their business quietly this season and have made some good moves and have thus far looked pretty solid through the Spring session.

Sylar
04-04-2008, 10:53 AM
And ironically, our pitching staff have been better than the offense so far! Swept AT COMMERICA in our opening series :brickwall

Part/Time Supporter
04-04-2008, 04:37 PM
And ironically, our pitching staff have been better than the offense so far! Swept AT COMMERICA in our opening series :brickwall

By Kansas City.

:tee hee:

Sylar
04-04-2008, 04:40 PM
Don't rub it in :boo hoo:

Falkirk Hibby
06-04-2008, 09:20 AM
0-5, what a start! :greengrin

Only a few days gone, but Red Sox, Yankees and Detroit are the basement boys...what do we all know huh? :cool:

And Scott, what is a Pats fan doing supporting the Tigers?

CalgaryHibs
06-04-2008, 02:26 PM
Yoo guys have over looked the Los Angeles Angels from the west, once again they are favorites to win the west .

Sylar
06-04-2008, 03:23 PM

Only a few days gone, but Red Sox, Yankees and Detroit are the basement boys...what do we all know huh? :cool:

Support the Patroits through family connections - we've a lot of family who stay in and around the Boston area, and the first ever NFL (save for the NFL Europe league) game I witnessed was the Patroits vs Colts at Foxborough.

Tigers - long story short: I have a mate who's from Michigan and decided to come to uni here for his final year - I visited him at his home 2 years ago and he took me to Commerica to see the Tigers vs Angels game - the rest is history.

That, plus I HATE the Boston Red Sox with every ounce of blood and water in my body!

GhostofBolivar
07-04-2008, 02:10 AM

The Yankees tend to start slowly; the Tigers have dodgy pitching; the Red Sox have travelled 16,000 miles for their games so far and it's not that unsuprising they got swept in Toronto anyway. The Jays have a great pitching staff (especially since Santana went to the Mets. Roy Halladay's probably the best pitcher in the AL now). Their offence is good enough that they might be a decent outside bet for the wildcard/AL East if they get a hot start and avoid injuries to their key guys. They'll cetainly do damage to someone.

NYHibby
09-04-2008, 07:40 PM
The Orioles, the Hibs of the AL, are off to a 6&1 start and are 2.5 games ahead of New York and Boston.

Sylar
10-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Finally! Some joy at last after mauling the Red Sox last night 6-2. Big win, and hopefully one that can kick start our failing offense into life!

Two cracking HR's over the Monster last night to seal the deal!

Pitching looked a bit better, save for a poor 2nd inning by Bonderman, forcing in 2 runs, but on the whole, a good night for Detroit :thumbsup:

Lebron James
13-04-2008, 03:48 PM
yankees red sox c5 live tonight should be a cracking game,oh well another year playing mvp baseball 04 on the p.c.:thumbsup:

Part/Time Supporter
15-04-2008, 09:59 AM
Borowski again!

:brickwall:brickwall:brickwall

Sylar
17-04-2008, 09:52 PM
Good game between the Yankees and Red Sox in the Bronx last night! The lead changed hands several times before the Yankees eventually ran out winners - Alex Rodriguez scoring one of the deepest HR's i've seen in the last couple of seasons, smashing it into the RedSox bullpen!

As for us, it seems we've finally got our feet running on the ground after sweeping the Twins at Commerica! Absolutely obliterated Sabbathia and the Indians last night with a HUGE performance from Miguel Cabrera, going deep with a 2R HR, 2B and 5 RBI's, going 4-6! Renteria's grand slam was a thing of beauty! The Indians need to shape up a wee bit actually by looking at their record - everyone was making a huge deal about the Tigers' poor start, but the Indians also sit 5-10 just now - their starting pitcher has an ERA of 13.50 after the mauling he suffered last night!

Part/Time Supporter
18-04-2008, 07:10 AM
Sabathia has SUCKED so far. This is the playoff version, he can't locate and ends up just sending 96mph fastballs down the middle which get crushed.

Funnily enough, the rest of the Indians rotation is looking reasonable. Carmona has pitched well apart from one nutty start where he couldn't find the plate. Lee has pitched excellently and Westbrook and Byrd have been okay-ish so far.

Their record so far is bad (6-10 now) because of Sabathia (who would normally win 3/4) and Borowski blew two games before going on the DL. If they get CC straightened out and get rid of Borowski (who is finished IMO) they should be okay. It's not as if anyone is running away with the division while the Tigers and Indians are struggling.

I think CC was a bit of a concern going into this season because he pitched a ridiculous total of innings last season (about 250 in the regular season alone). There's always a risk of that tiring out his arm going into the post season and the following season.

SlickShoes
18-04-2008, 08:14 AM
I missed the whole of last season! I need to get back into this now, having played some baseball in the UK a few years ago it was great fun and my mate is now even part of the GB squad which is ace for him!

Edinburgh are the best team in scotland by a country mile so if any of you fancy watching some amatuer Ball or joining in check them out at www.diamonddevils.com

An on another note, Mon' The A's!!!

Part/Time Supporter
18-04-2008, 05:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8ErbVOfvqw&feature=related

The NY Mets got rickrolled (http://www.yougotrickrolled.com/). The natives take it in their usual good natured manner (BOOOOOO)*.

:greengrin :rules: :tee hee: :wtf:

* speaking of which, I sometimes see posts criticising the amount of stick Hibs players get these days. Whoever posts that has obviously never been to a game at Shea.

Part/Time Supporter
18-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Red Sox fans of a nervous disposition should NOT open this link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G_trnJJYuI&NR=1).

I love at the start how Vin Scully thanks the crew, as if the Mets are going to be finished within a matter of seconds.

:greengrin

Sylar
18-05-2008, 10:45 PM
Good season so far, but i'm embarassed by our "misfiring superstars" - our pitching staff are brutal, and the bullpen is pitiful, but they're getting no support whatsoever from our offense of so-called "superstars".

Good start from the Rays, who sit 1 behind the RedSox in the AL East, as well as the Diamondbacks, who's offense have been awesome, sitting 27-16, with a .628 Avg.! Florida Marlins and Chicago Cubs are also firing quite nicely just now.

The Padres (16-28), Mariners (17-27), Rockies (17-27), Giants (17-27) and Tigers (17-27) are embarassing this season - I've continually tried to convince myself that we're going to explode into life, but the more games we play, the less convinced I am :brickwall

Dashing Bob S
27-05-2008, 05:16 PM
Boston will rule again.

Chicago doing good. Sox great pitching, if they start hitting they could be a force. Cubs good offense but one injury away from it going tits up.

D'backs will be strong, but never write of the Yankees. A poor start but September is a long way away.