PDA

View Full Version : Cricket: Australia v India

DaveF
27-02-2008, 08:20 AM
I read that there was yet more sledging going on in the recent game between the 2, despite calls for a reduction in the amount of verbal abuse thrown about.

Ishant Sharma got a fine for gesturing to Andrew Symonds and it was hoped that this would be the end of it, until Matthew Hayden then gave a radio interview soon afterwards http://news.theage.com.au/sledging-has-gone-too-far-indians/20080227-1v7p.html where he called Harbhajan Singh "an obnoxious little weed" and also apparaently (reported on BBC Radio, but not on the article) challenged Ishant sharma to a fight.

Fair to say Hayden doesn't give a monkey's :greengrin

derekHFC
27-02-2008, 10:10 AM
I read that there was yet more sledging going on in the recent game between the 2, despite calls for a reduction in the amount of verbal abuse thrown about.

Ishant Sharma got a fine for gesturing to Andrew Symonds and it was hoped that this would be the end of it, until Matthew Hayden then gave a radio interview soon afterwards http://news.theage.com.au/sledging-has-gone-too-far-indians/20080227-1v7p.html where he called Harbhajan Singh "an obnoxious little weed" and also apparaently (reported on BBC Radio, but not on the article) challenged Ishant sharma to a fight.

Fair to say Hayden doesn't give a monkey's :greengrin

The Aussies are brilliant, Hayden isn't a guy that i'd mess with mind you. He's a rather big chap and he looks a mean fella.

The sledging that goes on in cricket is part and parcel of the game, but it has gotten out of hand recently. The recent alleged "racist" sledging that went on was bang out of order by both teams and i think both got mega grief for it.

There was a thread in here not that long ago where it gave loads of examples of sledging from the past and i had a tear in my eye reading some of them.

mjhibby
27-02-2008, 12:16 PM
Most teams including england do it.Shane warne was targetted in his early days and how that came back to haunt them.Seems simple really.The umpires give a warning the first time and the second time your suspended for the day and then next time the match etc.It does seem to be getting nasty now and i suppose the aussies minus warne and mcgrath will need a wee bit more in the armoury to continue to be top dogs.

Hank Schrader
27-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Hayden is spot on, Harbhajan IS an obnoxious little weed and arrogant to boot. This series was always going to have some niggle, especially after the goings on in the best of 7 ODI series in India prior to it. I didn't think it would be as explosive as it has been.

I would be disappointed if sledging in Cricket was cracked down on, it has been part of the game for years. Most forms of sport can include some form of sledging and it adds to the competitive atmosphere. If it oversteps the mark then its fair to come down hard on the perpitraitors.

sir_eliot
04-03-2008, 02:29 PM
Anyone seen this video from today's match?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTWOk6slU_Y
:faf: