PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Hamilton abuse

EasterGreen
04-02-2008, 10:59 PM
I know this isn't really hibs related but it is football related!

Just what is it with those morons in Spain. One of the worst things about it is that all the people sitting round the idiots with the wigs on seemed to be having a good laugh about it and the same seemed to be the case when it happened to the England football team with Wright-Phillips etc.

Spain seems to have a serious and widespread problem with this. Total s**m and morons and although the victims of it should try and rise above it that is a pretty hard thing to do.

Idiots! :brickwall:brickwall:brickwall

AllyF
04-02-2008, 11:18 PM
Absolutely sickening what they were doing to Hamilton in Barcelona.

Toaods
04-02-2008, 11:19 PM
Other Sports board IMHO

Barrylavety
05-02-2008, 01:12 PM
complete ****

blaikie
05-02-2008, 01:23 PM
One of the most racist countries in the world :bitchy:
Another inncident from a few years ago :agree:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/4055395.stm
Disgrace :brickwall

JimBHibees
05-02-2008, 01:51 PM
Cant help thinking UEFA's total inaction to the Spain England game a few years ago has encouraged this sort of nonsense.

Part/Time Supporter
05-02-2008, 03:43 PM
Is the abuse Fernando Alonso gets in England racist?

:hmmm:

skyehibee
05-02-2008, 05:16 PM
Disgusting!

What i dont understand is how people around them just sat there and didnt confront them?

And also how they even got into the stadium without anyone else noticing?

Sir David Gray
05-02-2008, 05:30 PM
It is disgraceful and it's something Spain has to sort out because racist incidents in Spain are becoming increasingly regular in their occurrence.

What happened to Lewis Hamilton at the weekend was shocking and no human being should have to put up with such ignorance.

bingo70
05-02-2008, 06:57 PM
absolutely no excuse for racism of any description at all in any sport :agree:, however (tin hat on here), theres a lot of uproar about the guys that painted there face black, i know this might not go down well but i don't know why thats racist :dunno:

TrueHibby
05-02-2008, 07:27 PM
absolutely no excuse for racism of any description at all in any sport :agree:, however (tin hat on here), theres a lot of uproar about the guys that painted there face black, i know this might not go down well but i don't know why thats racist :dunno:

You need to have a word with yourself if you can't see how that is racist.

5 people painted black with Lewis Hamilton's family written on their T-shirts.

Hmmm.

bingo70
05-02-2008, 07:38 PM

Hmmm.

but he is coloured, thats not derogatry, its a fact.

remember a few years ago when tony yeboah played for leeds, football focus did a feature on a group of Leeds fans that went to the games with their face painted black in support Yeboah and no-one ever suggested they were being racist, those boys were deemed to be quite the comedians.

Liam_c
05-02-2008, 08:31 PM
pic

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44402000/jpg/_44402957_hamiltoncrowd.jpg

Hiber-nation
05-02-2008, 08:32 PM

Hmmm.

:agree:

Exactly, bliddy hell does this need to be spelt out to people? This is 2008 for chrissakes!!

bingo70
05-02-2008, 09:45 PM
:agree:

Exactly, bliddy hell does this need to be spelt out to people? This is 2008 for chrissakes!!

apologies if offence caused

i'll try and expand on my point without digging myself any deeper....... maybe im being naive but if i was a sports star in a predominantly black country and members of the crowd turned up with their face painted white wearing t-shirts saying they were my family i wouldnt take offence to that, why would i?

think the point i was trying to get to, (poorly obviously) was in my opinion saying a coloured mans a coloured man isnt racist so i suppose i dont really understand why such offense is being caused here.

dont know if anyone here watches scrubs, but theres an episode where the white doctor gets his face painted to look like a brown guy, is that racist? Obviously its all about the context its in and all i was saying that just by looking at those pictures you dont know what context those fans were meaning it in, it may well have been racist but by the same token it also may not have been, for all i know it might just be a rubbish joke by some of his fans who thought it would be funny to dress up like him and like me didnt realise it would cause such offence

again though, no offence meant in my post and ive tried to explain where im coming from, appreciate not all will agree with me or even understand what im talking about but hopefully that makes it a bit clearer that im not some union jack waving neo nazi racist :agree:

Jack
05-02-2008, 11:12 PM

i'll try and expand on my point without digging myself any deeper....... maybe im being naive but if i was a sports star in a predominantly black country and members of the crowd turned up with their face painted white wearing t-shirts saying they were my family i wouldnt take offence to that, why would i?

think the point i was trying to get to, (poorly obviously) was in my opinion saying a coloured mans a coloured man isnt racist so i suppose i dont really understand why such offense is being caused here.

dont know if anyone here watches scrubs, but theres an episode where the white doctor gets his face painted to look like a brown guy, is that racist? Obviously its all about the context its in and all i was saying that just by looking at those pictures you dont know what context those fans were meaning it in, it may well have been racist but by the same token it also may not have been, for all i know it might just be a rubbish joke by some of his fans who thought it would be funny to dress up like him and like me didnt realise it would cause such offence

again though, no offence meant in my post and ive tried to explain where im coming from, appreciate not all will agree with me or even understand what im talking about but hopefully that makes it a bit clearer that im not some union jack waving neo nazi racist :agree:

TBF Bingo it wasn't just the face painting, the folk dressed up were shouting abuse as well. (although how anyone could hear anything above the noise these F1 engines make is beyond me!)

sleeping giant
05-02-2008, 11:17 PM

No offence should be taken as you clearly have a very valid point !

I agree with what you say :agree: It MAY not have been racist in the slightest.
I have only seen the picture. I do not know if they were taunting him.

This could be a bit of gutter sensation journalism.

sleeping giant
05-02-2008, 11:18 PM
TBF Bingo it wasn't just the face painting, the folk dressed up were shouting abuse as well. (although how anyone could hear anything above the noise these F1 engines make is beyond me!)
I have not seen that. Have you seen it or was it reported in the paper ?

Jack
05-02-2008, 11:35 PM
Taken from the BBC F1 pages

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7227772.stm

Reports in a number of Spanish papers said Hamilton was booed and insulted whenever he made his way from the team motor home and into the pits on Saturday for pre-season testing at the Barcelona circuit.

If it was just t shirts and blackened faces that wouldn't count as "whenever he made his way from the team motor home" because dressing up would be all the time.

There's also a link to the FIA spoken statement "anger at Hamilton race taunts" but I've not listened to that yet.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7225523.stm says much the same but with various important folk condeming it in pretty strong diplomatic terms, for example;

Gerry Sutcliffe, sports minister for the British government, has demanded the FIA take action to prevent a repeat of the "sickening" racist abuse suffered by Hamilton.

For a minister to come out with something as strong as that he would have to be very sure of his facts otherwise Gibraltar would be invaded!

Part/Time Supporter
06-02-2008, 11:22 AM
Taken from the BBC F1 pages

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7227772.stm

If it was just t shirts and blackened faces that wouldn't count as "whenever he made his way from the team motor home" because dressing up would be all the time.

It doesn't say whether the abuse was racist though (ie black such and such or monkey chants). I think there is a danger here that people are playing the race card as part of an ongoing struggle between Hamilton and Alonso. Alonso got some terrible stick in the English media last year, yet now they're getting all high and mighty about a few Spanish nutters.

For a minister to come out with something as strong as that he would have to be very sure of his facts otherwise Gibraltar would be invaded!

That guy is well known for engaging mouth before brain.

TheGreenMan
06-02-2008, 12:46 PM
I know this isn't really hibs related but it is football related!

Just what is it with those morons in Spain. One of the worst things about it is that all the people sitting round the idiots with the wigs on seemed to be having a good laugh about it and the same seemed to be the case when it happened to the England football team with Wright-Phillips etc.

Spain seems to have a serious and widespread problem with this. Total s**m and morons and although the victims of it should try and rise above it that is a pretty hard thing to do.

Idiots! :brickwall:brickwall:brickwall

I agree, shocking!

I dont see much difference between this and the bigoted sh*te that gets sung/chanted by Rangers/Celtic fans at almost every game they play. We should be concerning ourselves with the idiots in our own country before anyone else.:agree:

The Zulu
07-02-2008, 02:52 AM

Its pure mockery of the black race when white folk paint themselves charcoal black and dictate the black race in any negative manner. The majority of the black race dont appreciate the term coloured either, cos i certainly dont like it.

How people can say that this story isnt racism is beyond me :bitchy:

Hiber-nation
07-02-2008, 08:11 AM
It doesn't say whether the abuse was racist though (ie black such and such or monkey chants). I think there is a danger here that people are playing the race card as part of an ongoing struggle between Hamilton and Alonso. Alonso got some terrible stick in the English media last year, yet now they're getting all high and mighty about a few Spanish nutters.

That guy is well known for engaging mouth before brain.

Playing the race card - are you serious? I can't see how the stick Alonso got compares to this.

bingo70
07-02-2008, 10:22 AM
Its pure mockery of the black race when white folk paint themselves charcoal black and dictate the black race in any negative manner. The majority of the black race dont appreciate the term coloured either, cos i certainly dont like it.

thats my point though, just by those pictures how can you tell if its in a negative manner or if its in a pish joke kind of jovial manner?

sleeping giant
07-02-2008, 10:29 AM

I said it may not be as i dont know the facts yet ! Will check it out later as im at work at the mo.

Hibs FC No 1
07-02-2008, 04:41 PM
If it's any form of racism I hate most of all, it has be the whole black/brown face paint thing. It's not even remotely funny or clever, it's absolutely disgusting IMO. Frankly Spain should have all major sporting events taken away from it, seeing those images in the paper made me sad TBH.

Jack
07-02-2008, 05:26 PM
If it's any form of racism I hate most of all, it has be the whole black/brown face paint thing. It's not even remotely funny or clever, it's absolutely disgusting IMO. Frankly Spain should have all major sporting events taken away from it, seeing those images in the paper made me sad TBH.

To be honest, and to be fair to Spain, its only a very small minority of Spanish people who are as ignorant as that. I know hundreds of very nice Spanish people. Its not as if we don’t have our own fair share of BNP type people in the UK, mainly England thankfully! But then Scotland has sectarianism which is just as bad.

I agree it’s a disgrace for anyone to be abused for the position they find themselves born to. Just ask the lower caste in the Indian sub continent or the folk who happen to be in the wrong tribes in all but a few African countries or the wrong religion in other countries around the world. The Olympics in China is just a disgrace.

However I really don’t think there's a country in the world that could ‘hand on heart’ throw the first stone.

Just my opinion of course.

Part/Time Supporter
07-02-2008, 09:50 PM

So the response to racism by a few individuals is to punish a whole country? That strikes me as being a bit, erm, racist.