PDA

View Full Version : UFC 81 - Breaking Point

thekaratekid
01-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Brock Lesnar's debut for UFC is on tomorrow night in America.

When will it be shown here ?

euan moran
01-02-2008, 08:47 PM
It's on Bravo at 9 on Sunday I'm sure.

I'm not holding out much hope for Lesnar in MMA. He may well win this fight, but I'd be very surprised if he turned into much as a fighter. At Heavyweight, it's all about the Brazilians at the moment. I'd put Fabricio Werdum and Minotauro Nogueira in my top 5 heavyweights, with Gonzaga not much lower.

I'm praying that the talentless, boring wan*er that is Tim Sylvia gets his arse handed to him by Nogueira.

thekaratekid
01-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Cheers Euan.

Lesnar's gonna go through a few people before he gets found out IMO

euan moran
01-02-2008, 09:08 PM
Cheers Euan.

Lesnar's gonna go through a few people before he gets found out IMO

I think he may well do as well mate. But it won't be down to any great skill of his, it'll be down to Dana White milking him for all he's worth before tossing him to the side. IMO, he'll fight a good few bums and eventually step up to fight a top fighter like Nogueira or Cheick Kongo and will find that it's harder than it looks in the UFC.

sleeping giant
02-02-2008, 02:38 AM
I think he may well do as well mate. But it won't be down to any great skill of his, it'll be down to Dana White milking him for all he's worth before tossing him to the side. IMO, he'll fight a good few bums and eventually step up to fight a top fighter like Nogueira or Cheick Kongo and will find that it's harder than it looks in the UFC.

Cracking posts Euan.

Great stuff.

I look forward to seeing Lesnar :agree:

They all must have balls the size of grapefruits :agree:

Dalkeith Hibee
02-02-2008, 10:12 AM
I agree. I think Lesnar will win this weekend as Mir isn't the same after his accident.

That will provide a big draw and a lot of publicity for UFC but I see Lesnar eventually fading out and probably going back to Wrestling.

All that aside I can't wait to see him in action tomorrow night.

chorley_fm
02-02-2008, 11:57 AM
looking forward to this big time

IMO this fight will come down to cardio...Mir doesn't have any anymore and Lesner is untested.

Look for this fight to hit the ground really quick, it won't be a slug fest thats for sure.

Lesner for the win ground n pound round 2

chorley_fm
02-02-2008, 12:01 PM

I dont agree, I think with some decent training Lesner could become the real deal. He's going to have a size advantage over most in the division, and as long as he doesnt leave him self open to an arm bar , kimora etc he should do ok.

euan moran
02-02-2008, 03:59 PM
I dont agree, I think with some decent training Lesner could become the real deal. He's going to have a size advantage over most in the division, and as long as he doesnt leave him self open to an arm bar , kimora etc he should do ok.

I'll admit I don't know a great deal about the guy, but there's a big difference between pretend fighting (Yes I know he's got a decent amateur wrestling background) and being stuck on your arse by a BJJ black belt. Really good Jiu-Jitsu training takes years of training at a top gym and also experience in the octagon. I think he'll be targetted by most fighters for his lack of top BJJ training. As for the size advantage, that's only something that can be seen over time. He'll clearly be bigger than most, but whether he uses that advantage to the maximum will be what makes or breaks him.

Either way, it'll be interesting to see what happens with this, and possibly a few more WWE wrestlers joining MMA.

thekaratekid
02-02-2008, 04:09 PM
Either way, it'll be interesting to see what happens with this, and possibly a few more WWE wrestlers joining MMA.

Kurt Angle will be at ringside and will fancy a crack at some point I would imagine.

sleeping giant
02-02-2008, 06:54 PM
Kurt Angle will be at ringside and will fancy a crack at some point I would imagine.
Angle backed out to do TNA did he not. Big case of keeking his breeks :agree:

chorley_fm
02-02-2008, 07:07 PM
Angle backed out to do TNA did he not. Big case of keeking his breeks :agree:

I reckon about 8 years ago Kurt Angle could have been a stick on for MMA, unlike most in Pro wrestling, he is a legitimate hard man with MMA skills to back it up.

Angle is now a broken man, with real problems with his neck and back. Most state athletic commissions would not pass him for MMA. Still you may be right that more WWE style fighters may chance their arms.

any predictions for the card, I think Big Tims gonna win against Noguiera and Lesner's gonna cause Mir a few problems.

Would be good to return to this thread after the show on Sunday ??

euan moran
02-02-2008, 07:36 PM
I reckon about 8 years ago Kurt Angle could have been a stick on for MMA, unlike most in Pro wrestling, he is a legitimate hard man with MMA skills to back it up.

Angle is now a broken man, with real problems with his neck and back. Most state athletic commissions would not pass him for MMA. Still you may be right that more WWE style fighters may chance their arms.

any predictions for the card, I think Big Tims gonna win against Noguiera and Lesner's gonna cause Mir a few problems.

Would be good to return to this thread after the show on Sunday ??

I think Lesnar will splatter Mir. He's been set up to win this fight, so there's no way Lesnar's not going to win and look good in the process.

The Sylvia/Nogueira fight is quite tough to call. Sylvia has never fought somebody with Nogueira's ability to take a hit before, whereas Nogueira has fought plenty of big hitters. I'm tempted to go with Nogueira to win this on the ground, but Sylvia's always got a puncher's chance.

euan moran
02-02-2008, 07:38 PM
Also, Chuck Liddell v Shogun Rua has been organised and is being held in London. With me going to UFC:80 the other week, I'm not sure I'll be able to afford it, but this will be a fantastic fight.

chorley_fm
02-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Also, Chuck Liddell v Shogun Rua has been organised and is being held in London. With me going to UFC:80 the other week, I'm not sure I'll be able to afford it, but this will be a fantastic fight.

Euan, how was the BJ / Joe Daddy fight live, I've only seen it on the net, I did have plans to go to the 02 arena, but with Mrs Chorley in her last month of pregnancy I wissnae allowed to go ! :brickwall :thumbsup:

Defo have plans to try and get to a show this year, hopefully they'll continue to run cards in the UK this year.

euan moran
02-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Euan, how was the BJ / Joe Daddy fight live, I've only seen it on the net, I did have plans to go to the 02 arena, but with Mrs Chorley in her last month of pregnancy I wissnae allowed to go ! :brickwall :thumbsup:

Defo have plans to try and get to a show this year, hopefully they'll continue to run cards in the UK this year.

The fight was absolutely unreal. I had to pinch myself because I genuinely couldn't believe I was seeing BJ. He was far too good for Stevenson, and I can't wait to see him slaughter that ar$ehole Sherk to get the title for keeps.

Apparently there's going to be another show in the Arena in Liverpool towards the end of the year, which would be perfect for me. The UFC want to get the UK wired in, and with the recent legalisation in France, I'd be very surprised if the sport didn't boom there, and there may well be a show in 2009.

chorley_fm
02-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Sweet,

From what I saw online, BJ tooled Stevenson (who I think will go places), Bj licking the blood of his gloves at the end whilst Joe Daddy was crying in his corner was sick !

Good news on the Liverpool card, closer to home and aw that !!

Euan, I post on a good MMA site www.sherdog.com

They have some really good message boards and are one of the biggest MMA sites on the net.

I post as chorley_fm on there, surprise surprise :wink: I dont post much but certainly use the site to keep up to date with whats happening in MMA, you should visit the site.

Although you may already know about the site :wink::greengrin

euan moran
02-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Sweet,

From what I saw online, BJ tooled Stevenson (who I think will go places), Bj licking the blood of his gloves at the end whilst Joe Daddy was crying in his corner was sick !

Good news on the Liverpool card, closer to home and aw that !!

Euan, I post on a good MMA site www.sherdog.com

They have some really good message boards and are one of the biggest MMA sites on the net.

I post as chorley_fm on there, surprise surprise :wink: I dont post much but certainly use the site to keep up to date with whats happening in MMA, you should visit the site.

Although you may already know about the site :wink::greengrin

I have a look on there every now and again, but I've never been bothered to register as there are a massive number of complete idiots on there. I'll register in a minute probably (And join the mass ranks:wink:)

chorley_fm
02-02-2008, 10:02 PM
Well it is a predominately US site, :wink:

Its good for keeping up to date, the forums are pretty good, the off topic forums are great fun.

Unfortunatley I can't visit on the night of a PPV cos I want to watch tommorow night with out knowing the results.

:cool2:

sleeping giant
02-02-2008, 10:50 PM
Is it not on at the same time as Lost :yikes!:

chorley_fm
03-02-2008, 04:58 PM
The joys of sky+ and Bravo+1 :thumbsup:

Think I'll be watching Lost live then UFC (that way I can fast forward through the adverts) :agree:

Got some magners chilling so it should be a good night in front of the box :thumbsup:

euan moran
04-02-2008, 03:16 PM
I think Lesnar will splatter Mir. He's been set up to win this fight, so there's no way Lesnar's not going to win and look good in the process.

The Sylvia/Nogueira fight is quite tough to call. Sylvia has never fought somebody with Nogueira's ability to take a hit before, whereas Nogueira has fought plenty of big hitters. I'm tempted to go with Nogueira to win this on the ground, but Sylvia's always got a puncher's chance.

Well. I guess I was half right.

Mir looked dead and buried in that fight, so for him to get the kneebar on like that was absolutely miraculous. Lesnar looks very dangerous, but his lack of BJJ experience will be his undoing in MMA IMO.

I thought the Nog/Sylvia fight would go pretty much the way it did. Minotauro's got a big habit of taking a lot of punishment early on and then cacthing guys out later in the fight.

I guess we could be seeing Nog v Mir at some point then.:dunno:

chorley_fm
04-02-2008, 05:33 PM
I enjoyed the card, was pretty pumped for the Brock / Mir and Tim / Nog fights.

I was pretty shocked with the scoring on the opening fight. Tyson won it but never by 30 - 27 (x3). Tyson is a bit of a poster boy for Dana White so there was no chance of him being beat.

I thought Brock would pummel Mir and like you I guess I was correct up to a point. Brock was dominating Mir with a wicked take down and some pretty mean ground and pound.

I thought he should have only been given a warning from Steve Mazagatti for the punch to the back of the head. Mir had to roll in to Lesner to stop being knocked the hell out.

Once they got back to the action I just knew the Mir was going to sub Brock, he kept leaving himself open to arm bars on at least 3 occasions. I couldn't believe Brock couldn't hear me shouting at the tv telling him not to get caught :greengrin:greengrin

When Mir caught the ankle and spun Brock round it was only going to end one way.

I thought both fighters came out pretty well after the fight, which will be good for the division. Brock is still a beast and Mir is getting back to the condition he was in when he was the Champ.

Nog / Tim......

Tim was all over Nog and I thought that Tim was gonna pull it out of the bag. Nog took some pretty good shots from Tim, but the skilled BJJ practioner is always dangerous and when Tim went for a take down and left the neck open, once the choke was in it was all over.

I like Tim (unlike many others). I think he brings it every fight. I think it'll be Nog / Werdum II for the championship next time.

Good card and some decent performance and apart from the first fight had some good finishes.

I'm really jacked for the next ppv.....Anderson Silva vrs Dan Henderson :drool::drool:

euan moran
04-02-2008, 09:53 PM
I enjoyed the card, was pretty pumped for the Brock / Mir and Tim / Nog fights.

I was pretty shocked with the scoring on the opening fight. Tyson won it but never by 30 - 27 (x3). Tyson is a bit of a poster boy for Dana White so there was no chance of him being beat.

I thought Brock would pummel Mir and like you I guess I was correct up to a point. Brock was dominating Mir with a wicked take down and some pretty mean ground and pound.

I thought he should have only been given a warning from Steve Mazagatti for the punch to the back of the head. Mir had to roll in to Lesner to stop being knocked the hell out.

Once they got back to the action I just knew the Mir was going to sub Brock, he kept leaving himself open to arm bars on at least 3 occasions. I couldn't believe Brock couldn't hear me shouting at the tv telling him not to get caught :greengrin:greengrin

When Mir caught the ankle and spun Brock round it was only going to end one way.

I thought both fighters came out pretty well after the fight, which will be good for the division. Brock is still a beast and Mir is getting back to the condition he was in when he was the Champ.

Nog / Tim......

Tim was all over Nog and I thought that Tim was gonna pull it out of the bag. Nog took some pretty good shots from Tim, but the skilled BJJ practioner is always dangerous and when Tim went for a take down and left the neck open, once the choke was in it was all over.

I like Tim (unlike many others). I think he brings it every fight. I think it'll be Nog / Werdum II for the championship next time.

Good card and some decent performance and apart from the first fight had some good finishes.

I'm really jacked for the next ppv.....Anderson Silva vrs Dan Henderson :drool::drool:

I was very impressed with the card in all. Tim Boetsch looked excellent considering he only had ten days notice for the fight.

Anderson v Hendo will be an incredible fight IMO. Two contrasting styles, and it'll be fascinating to see whether Silva's speed and power or Hendo's unbelievable technique and heart will win.

chorley_fm
04-02-2008, 10:09 PM
I was very impressed with the card in all. Tim Boetsch looked excellent considering he only had ten days notice for the fight.

Anderson v Hendo will be an incredible fight IMO. Two contrasting styles, and it'll be fascinating to see whether Silva's speed and power or Hendo's unbelievable technique and heart will win.

Agreed Boetsch will definately be back, he had quick and heavy hands paired with some wicked maui thai knees.

I'll put an early marker for Silva to win vrs Henderson

euan moran
04-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Agreed Boetsch will definately be back, he had quick and heavy hands paired with some wicked maui thai knees.

I'll put an early marker for Silva to win vrs Henderson

I'm fancying Silva to KO Hendo. Even with fighting Rampage, I genuinely don't think Hendo has ever fought someone who can fire in such vicious shots in such quick succession.

GSP v Serra after this as well. The UFC is ace now. :thumbsup:

chorley_fm
05-02-2008, 01:19 AM
should be a good couple of months ahead for the ufc....:thumbsup: