PDA

View Full Version : Cricket

Sauzee7062
27-01-2008, 01:04 AM
I don't know much about test cricket but I've been betting on it (stupid I know but I gamble on anything!)

I've got money on Australia to score over 570 in the 1st Innings against India but the commentators are mentioning that the Aussies might declare on a much lesser score.

Can anyone explain the situation in very simple terms to me?

Cheers.

H18sry
27-01-2008, 09:29 AM
I don't know much about test cricket but I've been betting on it (stupid I know but I gamble on anything!)

I've got money on Australia to score over 570 in the 1st Innings against India but the commentators are mentioning that the Aussies might declare on a much lesser score.

Cheers.

If the Aussie's declare it means they stop batting because they think they have enough runs on the board :wink:

and your bet is beat if they have not reached 570 runs :greengrin

Part/Time Supporter
27-01-2008, 01:12 PM

Cheers.

The only way Australia could realistically win the game would have been to have a bit of a slog and declare on 500-ish, that would have given them enough time to bowl India out for 300-ish and still knock off the runs.

They chose to bat on more slowly to make the draw more likely (up 2-1 in the series) and ended up getting bowled out for 563. Now the runs are about even after four days with India one down in their second knock.

Australia can't lose now because there is not enough time for India to put enough runs on and bowl Australia out again. There is still an outside chance Australia can win the game if they bowl India out for less than 250.

I think your bet was reasonable because I don't think Australia were going to open the door to India at all. India could have declared their second innings with a big lead if Australia had scored more quickly and declared behind, which would have left Australia with 1-2 sessions to see out with no chance of winning the game. The only problem was that they ended up getting bowled out for < 570 batting normally.

:greengrin