PDA

View Full Version : For former Ice Hockey/Murrayfield Racers fans - CHRIS KELLAND

PC Stamp
10-12-2007, 04:00 PM
This coming Saturday, Edinburgh Capitals are taking the unprecedented step of retiring the no. 21 jersey in honour of Chris Kelland.

Kelland of course was captain and mainstay of the ultra successful Murrayfield Racers side that swept all before it in the days when Edinburgh had a hockey team worth watching!!

Chris and his family will be in attendance for the event as the Capitals take on (and no doubt lose to) the Manchester Phoenix. :greengrin

It's anticipated that a number of Kelland's former Racers team mates will also be in attendance, most certainly Scott Neil, Tony Hand (the current Manchester player coach) and former netminder Moray Hanson who will likely be officiating at the game.

I'll be dashing straight from ER to Murrayfield for the event. It was guys like Chris Kelland who got me interested in the game and I hope his attendance will have a positive effect on the numpties currently plying their trade at Murrayfield!

Face Off is 6pm. Further details of the jersey retiral to follow when available.

Pheona
10-12-2007, 04:06 PM
This coming Saturday, Edinburgh Capitals are taking the unprecedented step of retiring the no. 21 jersey in honour of Chris Kelland.

Kelland of course was captain and mainstay of the ultra successful Murrayfield Racers side that swept all before it in the days when Edinburgh had a hockey team worth watching!!

Chris and his family will be in attendance for the event as the Capitals take on (and no doubt lose to) the Manchester Phoenix. :greengrin

It's anticipated that a number of Kelland's former Racers team mates will also be in attendance, most certainly Scott Neil, Tony Hand (the current Manchester player coach) and former netminder Moray Hanson who will likely be officiating at the game.

I'll be dashing straight from ER to Murrayfield for the event. It was guys like Chris Kelland who got me interested in the game and I hope his attendance will have a positive effect on the numpties currently plying their trade at Murrayfield!

Face Off is 6pm. Further details of the jersey retiral to follow when available.

Oh ye of little faith... :greengrin

PC Stamp
10-12-2007, 05:58 PM
Oh ye of little faith... :greengrin

If Hibs fans have concerns about our coach they should nip along to MIR and watch Doug Christiansen's tactics in action.

It would restore their faith in John Collins immediately! :greengrin

stu in nottingham
10-12-2007, 07:51 PM
Loved Chris Kelland, he was a tremendous player. A fitness fanatic, he knew the rulebook inside out. I saw him embarrass more than one referee with his detailed knowledge of the laws of the game!

My first sighting of him was playing as a defensive tandem with Alex Dampier at Murrayfield. What a great pair they were. Of course we were fortunate to have him playing here for a while in Nottingham.

His superior physical fitness, dedication and professionalism allowed him to play the game to a very mature age. He was one of the rocks that the superb Racers teams of the eighties were built on.

Hope it's a good night and a suitable tribute for Chris. He's one of the very best players I've seen skate on these shores and I don't say that lightly.

PC Stamp
10-12-2007, 08:33 PM
Loved Chris Kelland, he was a tremendous player. A fitness fanatic, he knew the rulebook inside out. I saw him embarrass more than one referee with his detailed knowledge of the laws of the game!

My first sighting of him was playing as a defensive tandem with Alex Dampier at Murrayfield. What a great pair they were. Of course we were fortunate to have him playing here for a while in Nottingham.

His superior physical fitness, dedication and professionalism allowed him to play the game to a very mature age. He was one of the rocks that the superb Racers teams of the eighties were built on.

Hope it's a good night and a suitable tribute for Chris. He's one of the very best players I've seen skate on these shores and I don't say that lightly.

Still a fit guy. Works as a fireman now IIRC.

MSK
10-12-2007, 09:48 PM
Jeez ...when i started reading this i thought he was deid !!!! :shocked:...:panic:

PC Stamp
10-12-2007, 09:56 PM
Jeez ...when i started reading this i thought he was deid !!!! :shocked:...:panic:

He was dead good! :wink:

Pheona
11-12-2007, 11:53 AM

So do I, but the way things are at MIR at the moment, I have a horrible feeling it is going to be a embarressment. I certainly hope I am wrong though.

Shrekko
11-12-2007, 08:25 PM
As a Fife Flyers fan it was obligatory to hate this guy during the 80's, but deep down we had huge respect and admiration for his playing ability.

When he came over in the early 80's he was simply way too good for that level of hockey, and although the standard improved dramatically in the mid-late 80's he was still IMO in a class of his own.

Stu mentioned his detailed knowledge of the laws of the game. Thats quite possibly true but in reality him questioning calls was predominantly to give him a rest during games. In big games Chris played the FULL 60 MINUTES. Absolutely phenomenal for an all action player at any level. The only other time he got a break was if he was in the penalty box.

British ice-hockey used to have larger than life charachters in the 80's and 90's that made it such an enjoyable time to watch the sport- Kelland was undoubtedly one of them. He eventually did leave Murrayfield but his loyalty to them was unquestionable- I know for a fact that Flyers who were a big cheque book team in the 80's, offered to throw money at him every season but despite being flattered he wouldnt do it out of respect for the Racers.

Chez
11-12-2007, 08:28 PM
Chris Kelland and Moray Hanson - great players at that time :agree:

Shrekko
15-12-2007, 11:57 PM
Video of Chris Kelland having his shirt retired

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ku3VuLUilc

Pheona
17-12-2007, 09:31 AM
I missed it!!! :brickwall :brickwall

I can't believe I missed it!! , left the house all nice and early to get there in time and.... flat tyre.

I was not a happy bunny. :not hp:

and the jury is still out on the reverse legacy tops. Think I prefer the blue one.

PC Stamp
17-12-2007, 11:41 PM
I missed it!!! :brickwall :brickwall

I can't believe I missed it!! , left the house all nice and early to get there in time and.... flat tyre.

I was not a happy bunny. :not hp:

and the jury is still out on the reverse legacy tops. Think I prefer the blue one.

A nicely put together ceremony and I think the reverse legacy top is well smart. :agree:

CalgaryHibs
18-12-2007, 04:10 AM
Tony Hand is still aroond huh ?

mon the Capitals!!!!!:greengrin

stu in nottingham
18-12-2007, 09:21 AM
A nicely put together ceremony and I think the reverse legacy top is well smart. :agree:

What does that look like, PC, is it a 'heritage' type jersey?

PC Stamp
18-12-2007, 10:29 AM
What does that look like, PC, is it a 'heritage' type jersey?

Capitals Legacy Shirt (http://edinburgh-capitals.com/shop/saltire_shirt.gif)

The reverse legacy (home) is white with navy blue saltire.

Word is that these will now be the full time home and away shirts replacing the plain old white and dark blue ones we previously had. :thumbsup:

PC Stamp
18-12-2007, 10:30 AM
Tony Hand is still aroond huh ?

mon the Capitals!!!!!:greengrin

Tony is currently player coach at Manchester Phoenix who we played on Saturday there. Still way by far the classiest player on the ice even allowing for all the imports IMHO!

stu in nottingham
18-12-2007, 11:14 AM
Capitals Legacy Shirt (http://edinburgh-capitals.com/shop/saltire_shirt.gif)

The reverse legacy (home) is white with navy blue saltire.

Word is that these will now be the full time home and away shirts replacing the plain old white and dark blue ones we previously had. :thumbsup:

Cheers. That's nice - I like that.

Remember the jerseys that Murrayfield played in during the eighties? Pretty well a Montreal jersey IIRC?

There was a fashion at that time for many of the top UK outfits to wear NHL replica-type tops.

Dundee Rockets - New York Rangers

Billingham/Cleveland Bombers - Calgary Flames

Ayr Bruins - Boston Bruins

Streatham Redskins - Chicago Blackhawks

I think that's right...any more?

PC Stamp
18-12-2007, 11:24 AM
Cheers. That's nice - I like that.

Remember the jerseys that Murrayfield played in during the eighties? Pretty well a Montreal jersey IIRC?

There was a fashion at that time for many of the top UK outfits to wear NHL replica-type tops.

Dundee Rockets - New York Rangers

Billingham/Cleveland Bombers - Calgary Flames

Ayr Bruins - Boston Bruins

Streatham Redskins - Chicago Blackhawks

I think that's right...any more?

Peterboro' Pirates - Philadelphia Flyers

The_Sauz
20-12-2007, 10:17 AM
Streatham Redskins = Chicago Blackhawks
Glasgow Dynamos = New York Rangers
Paisley Mohawks = Chicago Blackhawks
*Dundee Rockets (2nd time around) NY Rangers
Edinburgh Royals = NY Rangers :wink:
Murrayfiels Racers first ever strip was Blue & Gold just like Durham Wasp's old strip.
Right I better stop now as I'm starting too show my age:boo hoo:

As for Chris Kelland:not worth.....Sauzee on skates :greengrin
It was just a pity Mike Ware came in a few years later, what a pair that whould have been on the blueline..:worried:
Still have my framed CK signed shirt and stick from his first game as a Racers player :wink:.